Sunday, March 18, 2007

Who I am

Growing up in an evangelical / fundamentalist / pentecostal / holiness background has a way of shaping the way that you view things. I was taught basic beliefs about the Bible ... inerrant, infallible, totally inspired... etc. I was taught a bunch of different doctrines and such. This was because from the time I first went to school I grew up in church and with a private Christian education, even until now. However, something began to change...

While I was ending my second year of college I felt that my life was going to change. I had no idea what was going to happen. In fact, I had made plans to keep on going to college, but after this feeling occured I had no idea what would ensue. By the time the end of summer came around I felt a call on my heart for me to go live with my sister in another state. There I began to really study the word and pray. It was, in some ways, the genesis of my own faith... of what I believed as opposed to what I had been taught.

I read and grew in the Word and in communion with God. After a few months thought things began to die down. After seven months of staying with my sister I came back and continued my college education. (Which, according to God's Divine providence, the Ohio trip made it possible for me to have the money to continue my education.)

As I continued in college I started studying theology and ministry. Suddenly tensions that I had inside of me, ones that majorly arose out of my trip to another state, began to crop up... tensions about the way I looked at things theologically and more began to be explained. I found out that I was not quite fundamentalist, that I was not quite
evangelical, and that the way I had been raised did not fit me completely.

My continuing education, coming on the heels of my trip, began to birth a new movement in my spirit. It birthed something that actually made sense to me... something that went along with my ideas and thinking; something that made me resonate deep inside, like a tuning fork. It birthed in me a journey toward a seemingly much criticized movement. A movement that many Christians within my own denomination probably look down upon... Postmodernity.

Now, here I am; finding myself in the midst of change. I just pray that God would be with me, guiding me through the storm, guiding me through my journey.

No comments:

- - -